Roasted Tomatoes and Peppers Pizza Sauce
A smoky + fiery + tasty homemade pizza sauce made with (fresh) roasted ingredients will instantly transform your pizza from garbage to gourmet quality! My pizza recipe will not be the same without this homemade pizza sauce with roasted tomatoes and peppers.
Ok, friends, we all know there is plenty of “homemade” pizza sauce on the internet whereby people mix tomato paste and tomato sauce… really? And then there is this pizza sauce where we make everything from scratch! This homemade pizza sauce recipe comprises selecting the freshest tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and garlic! I take it further by charring/roasting vegetables to move the flavor level from 0 – 1000!
Nothing is better on your homemade pizza than roasted tomatoes and peppers pizza sauce! The flavor is life-changing. The best thing about this homemade pizza sauce is that you can use it as a savory dip or topping on anything! You can dip your fried yams and plantains in it. Feel free to use it to serve white rice, add it to Egusi or Okra soup! Top it on beans porridge! Oh, you can dip your sweet potato slices in it or any roasted vegetables!
Homemade Pizza All the Way!
When it’s Pizza Night, you have a few options. You can order takeout, throw a frozen pizza into the oven, or you can make your own pizza from scratch. I always go with that last option because not only is it cheaper and healthier, but it also tastes so much better.
Let me show you how to make a pizza sauce at home that rivals the sauce at your local pizza place! And this sauce will get you making your own pizza at home every time! Also, this pizza sauce is low-carb, gluten-free, and vegan!
Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe Made with Fresh Tomatoes Instead!
There are plenty of recipes for homemade pizza sauce, but the thing they all have in common is that they start with tomato paste. We’re doing this with fresh tomatoes. The difference in flavors is huge. Do not miss out on this easy way to make homemade pizza sauce with fresh ingredients!
The truth of the matter is that food is nourishment (even if it is pizza)! And making a homemade pizza sauce with healthy + fresh ingredients gives you the opportunity to nourish your body.
When it comes to making pizza sauce at home, you are in charge! You can decide on how many herbs and spices you choose to use. I recommend using those that you like. For instance, though Italian seasoning is added to most pizza sauces, I choose not to add it to this one because we don’t like it. However, you can add it to yours. Be creative and use this recipe as a guide to creating a fantastic homemade pizza sauce you and your family will love!
Is It Worth Making Your Own Pizza Sauce?
Absolutely! Once you taste this stuff, you will wonder why you ever used canned tomato paste before or poured a ready-made sauce from a jar. You only need a few ingredients and it’s ready in no time!
Why You Will Love This Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
- It’s so simple to make.
- You won’t believe how much more flavor it has with fresh ingredients.
- You can use it on more than pizzas – I have suggestions below!
- Homemade pizzas taste better when you have amazing sauce.
- You probably have everything you need in your kitchen right now to get started on this sauce!
- It is customizable – add more peppers, spicy peppers, different herbs and spices!
- Make it ahead!
- Gluten-free, low-carb & vegan!
Ingredients for Flavorful Homemade Pizza Sauce!
- Fresh tomatoes
- Bell peppers
- Onions (both yellow and purple)
- Olive oil
- Dry thyme
- Oregano (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Monk fruit sweetener (just a little; optional)
How to Make a Pizza Sauce at Home with Fresh Ingredients (Step-by-Step)
This homemade pizza sauce is going to change your life. Here’s how to make it!
- Get the oven ready
Start by preheating your oven to 400F.
- Prep your ingredients
I’m a big believer in having everything ready to start a recipe because it makes things much easier. Gather your ingredients and then peel the onions and garlic. Wash the tomatoes and bell peppers, then cut/slice the onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers.
Once your ingredients are ready, get a cookie sheet covered with foil and place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and bell peppers on there in a single layer. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Spread on a single layer. You may roast them on two different baking sheets as I did.
- Bake/Roast the Vegetables
Bake it all up for about 25 to 30 minutes until they’re roasted. Personally, I like them just a little charred which gives them even more flavor.
Now you can take the contents of your cookie sheet and put them in your blender with paprika, dry thyme, oregano, monk fruit sweetener, a little olive oil, and salt to taste. Blend until smooth, then taste and adjust the flavors to your preference if necessary.
How to Use
This homemade pizza sauce is obviously ideal for pizzas (get my thin crust homemade pizza recipe here). But you can also use it for dipping breadsticks or cheese sticks, or for hot sandwiches, add it to soups, pastas, and more. There are endless ways to use it! Also, I dip fried yams and plantains in it.
- Check the oven at the lower end of the baking time to avoid overcooking.
- Let the cooked ingredients cool just slightly before blending to minimize the pressure in the blender.
- Don’t be afraid to taste it and adjust it to your preferences – if you want more salt, go for it or add another seasoning if you like!
- When making pizza, have your dough ready before the sauce goes into the blender. Then you can get right to baking that homemade pizza up for your family!
- Add more habanero if you want it spicier!
- You can add different range of herbs and spices you like.
- This homemade pizza sauce is typically thick. You can add more olive oil or water to loosen it to your consistency!
Pizza Sauce FAQs
Yes, you certainly can. In fact, there are pizzas that are made with white sauce, green sauce, and no sauce. Pizza is so versatile, but making this homemade pizza sauce from fresh tomatoes is a true treat for your taste buds.
Most recipes you’ll see tell you to use tomato paste. Not here! You’ll use fresh tomatoes, both purple and yellow onions, bell peppers, garlic, paprika, olive oil, salt, and pepper. You can use your favorite tomatoes or use different kinds to make it different each time.
It depends on the pizza! I’ve seen them made with marinara as well as tomato sauce. Many pizza places will choose pizza sauce though because it’s a thicker consistency. Pizza sauce is usually blended together first and then cooked on the pizza crust. Marinara sauce is great for topping things up or as a dip.
Pizza sauce is a simpler version of tomato sauce. So, expect it to have a tomato-forward flavor and that thicker texture.
- Add chili pepper for a spicy kick if you want to bring some heat to your pizza.
- Put in whatever other seasonings you like – Italian seasoning, oregano, basil…you can easily adjust it to suit your tastes.
- Make it more colorful with an array of bell peppers or use whichever ones you prefer. The bell peppers add more nutrition plus they also boost the flavor.
- Try it with a variety of tomatoes. Every tomato has its own unique flavor, and by making it with different kinds of tomatoes, you will see the flavor of your pizza sauce changes in special ways too!
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:Print
A smoky, savory, fiery, tasty homemade pizza sauce made with (fresh) roasted ingredients will instantly transform your pizza to gourmet quality! With this pizza sauce recipe, we make everything from scratch! This homemade pizza sauce recipe comprises selecting the freshest tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and garlic! Then charring/roasting the vegetables to move the flavor level from 0 – 1000!
- 6 medium-sized tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers
- 1/4 cup olive oil (use about 1 tablespoon to sprinkle on the veggies before roasting and use the remaining 3 tablespoons for blending/processing)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of paprika (smoked paprika is even better; I used 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 bulb of purple/red onions
- 1/2 bulb of white/yellow onions
- 1 habanero
- 4–6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 – 2 teaspoon(s) salt (always add salt to your preference)
- 1/3 black pepper
- 1–2 teaspoon(s) monk fruit sweetener (optional; I used 2)
- Get the oven ready. Start by preheating your oven to 400F.
- Prep your ingredients. I’m a big believer in having everything ready to start a recipe because it makes things much easier. Gather your ingredients and then peel the onions and garlic. Wash the tomatoes and bell peppers, then cut/slice the onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers.
- Season. Once your ingredients are ready, get a cookie sheet covered with foil and place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and bell peppers on there in a single layer. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Spread on a single layer. You may roast them on two different baking sheets as I did.
- Bake/Roast the Vegetables. Bake it all up for about 25 to 30 minutes until they look roasted/charred. Personally, I like them just a little charred, which gives them even more flavor.
- Blend. Now you can take the contents of your cookie sheet and put them in your food processor or blender with paprika, dry thyme, oregano, habanero, monk fruit sweetener, the remaining olive oil, black pepper and salt to taste. (If you want this sauce on the spicy side, chili may help if the habanero isn’t enough!) Process or blend. Taste and adjust the flavors to your preference if necessary.
Check the oven at the lower end of the baking time to avoid overcooking.
Let the cooked ingredients cool just slightly before blending to minimize the pressure in the blender.
Don’t be afraid to taste it and adjust it to your preferences – if you want more salt, go for it, or add another seasoning if you like!
When making pizza, have your dough ready before the sauce goes into the blender. Then you can get right to baking that homemade pizza for your family!
Add more habanero if you want it spicier!
You can add a different range of herbs and spices you like.
This homemade pizza sauce is typically thick. You can add more olive oil or water to loosen it to your consistency!
Making pizza tonight? Here is no fail my pizza dough recipe, it guarantees you have the best homemade pizza!
Ensure to use extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and and add more olive oil if needed.
Keywords: Pizza, Pizza sauce, tomato sauce, easy recipe, bell peppers, tomatoes, pepper sauce, homemade sauce
WANNA MAKE PIZZA? I GOT YOU:
MORE TOMATO SAUCE TO TRY:
This easy-to-make homemade tomato sauce for meatballs is flavorful, juicy, tasty, thick, vibrant, versatile, and perfect for any kind of pasta, especially spaghetti, penne, or rigatoni.
Nigerian stew is a classic red tomato stew that is spicy, tasty, and finger-licking good! This is a classic Nigerian dish (rather classic African dish), undoubtedly, one of the most famous Nigerian delicacies.
Romesco sauce is sharp, bold, zesty, and full of flavors from roasted red peppers, charred or sundried tomatoes, nuts, herbs, and seasonings!
Finally, let’s connect on social media, am on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. If you like video recipes, then be sure to head over to my YouTube Channel. Share this recipe post, and SAVE/PIN THIS IMAGE ON PINTEREST! ⤵️
THANKS FOR STOPPING BY! Stay well, safe and keep living your life to the fullest!