Cook Perfect White Rice Every time.
Today, my goal is to show you how to cook white rice on the stove and without the rice cooker. This way, you can cook perfect fluffy white rice each time! Knowing how to cook white rice is essential because cooked white rice has many uses. Firstly, cooked white rice (or boiled rice) is best enjoyed with Nigerian red tomato stew. They are a match made in food heaven. If you have never had white rice and red stew, then you need to ASAP; they are generally acceptable Sunday dish in Nigerian and most African countries. Secondly, white rice, (which some people call steamed rice) go so well with stir-fry! Check out my chicken and carrot stir-fry served with white rice. Thirdly, white rice is perfect for making sushi. Fourthly, white rice is ideal with beans, whether black-eyed peas or black beans. And if you ever have leftover white rice, don’t throw it out because you can use it to make fried rice! Rice is vegan and gluten-free, and if you are ready to learn how to cook white rice on the stove, then you are in the right place.
How to Cook White Rice on the Stove.
The most important thing you need in other to cook white rice is rice. I will be using long grain rice for this recipe today. You can still use any different kind of rice, such as short or medium grain. [bctt tweet=”Rice is an excellent source of energy because it has high-quality carbohydrates; the real fuel for your body. Rice is gluten-free, vegan/vegetarian. Just stick to the serving size as moderation is key, but, be sure to add vegetables, and protein for a balanced hearty meal.” username=”NkechiAjaeroh”]
Boiled White Rice and Stew.
Now if you are ready, let us get cooking:Print
It is important to realize that white rice is a vegetarian and gluten-free dish, so if you are a vegetarian you can eat it with sauté spinach or any other vegetarian sauce (if my red tomato stew does not work of course.)
- 2 cups of parboiled rice
- 4½ cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Parboil rice in boiling water for about 4 minutes on medium heat. Remove and wash very well. About 6-7 times until the water is clear, rinse thoroughly and set aside.
- Add 4 cups of water to the pan; allow to boil. Add salt and vegetable oil to the pot when the water starts boiling, and then add rice, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until rice is ready (it is usually prepared within 30 minutes). Taste rice to ensure it is soft enough, if it isn’t, then add the remaining ½ cup of water, reduce heat and allow another 3 – 5 minutes to soften a bit more.
- Your rice is ready; serve with Nigerian tomato stew, sauté spinach or avocado.
There are other ways to make white “plain” rice, but this is one of my easy ways to do on stovetop.
You can substitute vegetable oil with butter, that makes this dish vegetarian instead of vegan. Really doesn’t matter.
Keywords: Rice, White Rice, Boiled Rice, Recipe, White Rice Recipe, Nigerian Rice, Rice and Stew, Cooked Rice
Do you cook white rice? How do you make them? On the stovetop or with rice cooker? Tell me in the comment how you mainly cook white rice.
If you like this easy and simple white rice recipe then, I am sure you will like:
- Nigerian Chicken Tomato Stew.
- Chicken and Carrot Stir-fry.
- Healthy Chicken Drumstick.
- Delicious Plantain and Eggs Frittata.
- Deconstructed Taco Bowl.
- The Tastiest Nigerian Coconut Rice.
Want some salads? Grab my FREE (5) spinach salad recipe bundle would be a great addition to your dinner table. Get the recipes here. Plus, check out my Healthy Breakfast Smoothies.
Meanwhile, let’s connect on social media; well, your girl is everywhere! Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook. LOL, I did put starting on Pinterest and Instagram off forever, well I am there now, and I will love for us to connect! Please SAVE/PIN THIS IMAGE ON PINTEREST. ⤵️