Creamy Red Beet Purée Recipe:
Silky red beet puree, aka beetroot puree, is simply a recipe of pureed cooked beets, coconut milk, fresh garlic, salt, and pepper. Red beet puree is sweet, savory, flavorful, colorful, and comes with a perfect kick of freshness from the fresh raw garlic. You will never want to pair your salmon, chicken, or tofu with any other side!
This red beet puree recipe is easy to make; easily peel and cut up a couple of raw red beets, boil to soften, and then blend the boiled beets to become creamy and smooth! And just like that, this simple but healthy beet side dish is ready in less than 40 minutes.
Typically, the consistency is like a paste, a velvety beet paste. Feel free to add a bit more beet water (the water from boiling the beets) to loosen up the consistency to become what you want. I usually don’t like runny pureed beets because I want them to maintain their structure when I plate (so this consistency works for me)! BTW, air fryer salmon with beetroot puree is gold; we really enjoyed this recipe! You should try this combo!⬇️Red beet puree is vibrant, sweet, savory, flavorful, inviting, and makes a simple but healthy side dish for any occasion. Click To Tweet
Boiling vs. Roasting Beets
Should you boil or roast beets when making red beet puree at home? Uniquely, you can boil beets or roast them if you wish to make pureed beets. However, I found it faster to boil the beets when making a beet purée recipe than to roast them. OKAY, let’s analyze; it takes me only 25 – 30 minutes to boil up to 4 cups of raw beets on the stovetop. On the other hand, it takes about 50 minutes to roast beets to the same tenderness as boiled. Also, I don’t need to add oil to the beets when boiling them. However, you need to sprinkle some oil on the beetroot when roasting them.
The only downside of boiling is that some nutrients may disappear into the water! This is why I like to save the water and use in other recipes or even just drink it after it has cooled down. Well, having said all of these, please do what works best for you. It really doesn’t matter which method you choose. Are you team boiling or roasting?
Beet Puree Combinations
I love beet recipes; I can eat them raw like my beetroot – feta salad and shredded beets salad. Personally, I don’t mind their earthiness at all. Nevertheless, if you are hesitant about the earthiness of beets and not sure how it would taste by itself, then combine it with any vegetable of choice, say carrot, to make beet–carrot purée. Some beet puree combinations that I love are beet and carrot puree, beet and turnip puree, beet and apple puree, or beet and sweet potato puree. Also, beetroot and strawberry combo is excellent too especially as a smoothie!
Why You will Love Red Beet Puree:
If you are tired of the regular side dishes such as green beans, potatoes, cabbage, brussels sprouts, then elevate your next main dish with this vibrant colored red beet puree. It is easy, exciting, colorful, and healthy! Easily pair beet purée with any main dish of choice, and you will never go back to a regular side dish. Enough said, here are some of the reasons why you will love pureed beetroot as a side dish:
- Easy to make!
- Colorful; isn’t this pureed red beet pretty? It sure is!
- Several Health Benefits; beet is a superfood that is excellent for your health! For instance, beets can help keep your blood pressure in check. Equally, beet is excellent for fighting inflammation.
- Vegan beetroot puree; as you can see, this recipe is naturally vegan.
- Versatile; serve with salmon (my fav), chicken, tofu, etc. The main dishes you can serve with red beet puree are endless!
- Low-carb and less oil (well, that’s nice).
- Eye-catching side dish; red beet puree makes a vibrant purple colored side dish that could be the talk of the party!
- Naturally whole30 and gluten-free; an easy whole30/gluten-free side dish your family and friends will actually love!
More Beet Recipes to Try:
- Homemade Beet Juice
- Shredded Beet Salad Recipe
- Beet Strawberry Smoothie Recipe
- Beetroot and Feta Cheese Salad
- Healthy Baked Beets Donuts
- Homemade Red Velvet Cookies with Beets
- Air Fryer Beets (How to Air Fry)
- Roasted Beets Butternut Squash Bowl
Ingredients for Homemade Beetroot Puree:
- 4 cups of (peeled) chopped beet (beetroot); I measured after peeling and chopping.
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional; for boiling the beets)
- 2 – 3 bay leaves (optional; for boiling the beets)
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme (optional; for boiling the beets)
For blending the beets:
- ¼ cup of coconut milk
- 2 – 3 fresh garlic cloves
- A dash of salt and black pepper (only add salt if needed, especially if you had boiled it with some salt)!
HOW TO MAKE RED BEET PUREE FROM SCRATCH (STEP BY STEP):
Step one: wash, peel and cut the beets.
Step two: add beet to a pot and add salt (if using it), bay leaves, and dry thyme. Then add water (to cover the beets).
Step three: cover and cook beets on stovetop until fork tender.
Step four: drain the water or use a slotted spoon to scoop cooked beets into the blender. Discard the bay leaves. Add the coconut milk, fresh raw garlic, a dash of salt and pepper.
Step five: blend until smooth and creamy! Taste and adjust the seasoning if need be.
What to Serve with Homemade Red Beet Puree?
Restaurant quality homemade red beet purée is an eye-catching side dish that you and your family will love. Pureed beet is perfect with meat or fish. Lately, I have been pairing it with my air fryer salmon. And it’s truly a match made in food heaven!
More Main Dishes to Pair with Pureed Beets:
- Leg of lamb
- Braised short ribs (without wine)!
- Air Fryer Chicken thighs
- Turkey breast.
- Steak Bites, or beef roast.
In conclusion, most roasted vegetables go well with beets because of their contrasting colors. Uniquely, this deep colored purple puree from red beetroot can automatically adds excitement to the plate any time any day!
TIPS, VARIATIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS:
- Add another root vegetable to the mix; carrots pair well with beetroot and will be phenomenal in this recipe.
- When making red beet puree for the baby, add an apple or berries to counter the earthiness of the beet.
- Feel free to add more oil, such as EVOO or avocado oil when blending. The coconut milk was enough fat for me.
- You can also roast the beet instead of boiling or, better still, use a pressure cooker for cooking them quicker.
- Don’t want to peel beet? No worries. You can make beets puree without taking the skins off; just ensure to wash and clean them properly before cooking.
- Don’t throw out the water from boiling the beets; save it to use in beet soup or a natural food coloring. Or simply drink it after it has cooled down.
- Not too sure of red beets? Use golden beets to make the puree. The process is the same, and it is equally healthy!
- Make sure to wear an apron or gloves when handling red beet! They stain without mercy!
Yes, beet puree is good for babies. If you wish to make this recipe for babies, I suggest a couple of changes. First, add an apple to the mix. In other words, make beet–apple puree for the baby. Then boil it bland and without salt. Finally, exclude the pepper, only add a dash of salt and coconut milk when blending. Beetroot is healthy and excellent for babies.
Beet goes well with many vegetables such as apples, carrots, lime, and lemons. Everyone loves my shredded beet salad with apples and carrots. Additionally, beets go well with mixed greens, cucumber, and feta cheese. Check out this beet–feta salad for some inspiration!
Yes, you should definitely peel beets for baby food! You can easily use a vegetable peeler to peel the beets before cooking or peel off the skin of cooked beets after it has cooled down.
Pureed beets stored in an air-tight container can last up to 3 days in the refrigerator. I don’t suggest keeping it longer than that!
You can freeze beetroot puree for up to three months in the freezer. If you wish to freeze puree beets, I suggest allowing it to come to room temperature before warming and serving.
HOW TO MAKE RED BEET PUREE FROM SCRATCH (STEP BY STEP)Print
Silky red beet puree, aka beetroot puree, is simply a recipe of pureed cooked beets, coconut milk, fresh garlic, salt, and pepper. Red beet puree is sweet, savory, flavorful, colorful, and comes with a perfect kick of freshness from the fresh raw garlic. Red beet puree recipe is easy to make; easily peel and cut up a couple of raw red beets, boil to soften, and then blend the boiled beets to become creamy and smooth! Healthy beet side dish is ready in less than 40 minutes. Serve pureed beets with salmon, meat, or any choice of main.
- 4 cups of fresh (peeled) chopped beet (beetroot); I measured after peeling and chopping.
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional; for boiling the beets)
- 2 – 3 bay leaves (optional; boiling the beets)
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme (or boiling the beets)
For blending the beets:
- Step one: wash, peel and cut the beets.
- Step two: add beet to a pot and add salt (if using it), bay leaves, and dry thyme. Then add water (to cover the beets).
- Step three: cover and cook beets until fork tender.
- Step four: drain the water or use a slotted spoon to scoop cooked beets into the blender. Discard the bay leaves. Add the coconut milk, fresh raw garlic, a dash of salt and pepper.
- Step one: blend until smooth and creamy! Taste and adjust the seasoning
This recipe can serve 2 – 4 people as a side dish. Two adults can also eat it as a main.
If you added salt when boiling, be careful not to add too much when blending them. Always start with a tiny dash of salt and add more if need be.
You can boil the beets without peeling and then peel before blending. However, I found it easier to peel before cutting and cooking. Nevertheless, do what works for you!
Check out my salmon recipe made in the air fryer, and serve this with it!
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: #Beet #Beetpuree #Pureedbeet #Gardenbeet #Beetrootpuree #pureedbeetrot #Beetsidedish #Beets #beetrecipe #vegetablesidedish Beet, Beet puree, Beetroot puree, garden beet, homemade beet puree, beet recipes
More Vegetable Sides to Try:
While you are still here, grab my FREE (5) spinach salad recipe bundle. It would be a great addition to your dinner table (if you like salads) or you are looking to incorporate more veggies. Get the recipes here.
Finally, let’s connect on social media, am on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. Thanks for all your support! Also, please share this recipe post, and SAVE/PIN THIS IMAGE ON PINTEREST! ⤵️
THANKS FOR STOPPING BY! Stay well and safe.
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS, you are not charged more for using these links, but I make little coins when you do. THANKS for your support!