Best Red Cabbage Taco Recipe!
Please say hello to this nutritious red cabbage taco, aka red cabbage wrap! Whether you want a low-carb lunch or some color on your plate, this fits the deal! Super easy, nutritious, and satisfying red cabbage tacos is one low-carb lunch you need in your arsenal! This fresh cabbage leaves taco requires only a few ingredients. This isn’t your regular tacos; the vibrant and firm red cabbage substitutes your taco shell, making an unforgettable lunch or dinner experience!
Get excited about this red cabbage taco recipe. Not only are these easy to make, but they require fresh, real ingredients such as red/purple cabbage, avocado, jalapeno, tomatoes, and your choice of protein. This taco hits differently when we replace the shells with healthy and nutritious red cabbage leaves. In other words, this is a super yummy and delicious that can help you lose or maintain a healthy weight. Another cabbage recipe everyone loves around here is our braised red cabbage. You can make at the start of the week and eat all week! Check out my YouTube Channel for video recipes of some of the recipes you see here!
This is simply another healthier way to enjoy what we already love – TACO! Also, the best part about this recipe is that I finished it with spicy chicken breast suya! The flavor and spiciness of the Suya meat compliments this dish. Okay, don’t fret over “suya,” it technically means that I cooked the chicken breast with my Nigerian Suya spice seasoning. But, to be honest, leftover chicken or any other meat would work. You can literally use any other choice of protein you love and enjoy.
How to select the Best Cabbage:
This purple taco recipe starts with a good head of red cabbage, so this recipe starts with making sure that you select a good head of cabbage from the store. Some tips that will help you choose a great cabbage every time:
- Make sure the cabbage is firm and not in any way soggy.
- Choose a bright cabbage that equally feels crisp. So be sure to touch the cabbage, and hopefully, the leaves aren’t wilting already.
- Your cabbage should be shiny but not oily.
- Press the head to ensure its firmness!
- Additionally, it is not already cut or sliced. And always wash and remove the outer cover before using.
Green Cabbage Vs Red Cabbage
Is red cabbage better for you than green cabbage? Let’s discuss. Both green and red/purple cabbage are nutritious and have several health benefits. You can consume both cabbages raw or cook them. However, due to its color, the red/purple cabbage is densely packed with essential nutrients. In other words, green cabbage has fewer nutrients.
And if you are wondering, can I substitute red cabbage for green cabbage? Yes, you can.
Benefits of Red/Purple Cabbage:
- Red cabbage is nutrient-rich and contains tons of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Cabbage contains antioxidants. To be specific, red cabbage has anthocyanins, a type of flavonoid.
- Red cabbage is heart-healthy!
- It promotes bone health and brain health!
- Cabbage is in fiber and great for digestive health! My braised red cabbage recipe is worth trying!
Bottom line: The red cabbage has powerful nutrients than their green counterparts. In other words, while the green cabbage is nutritious, the red one is more nutritious. For instance, red cabbage is excellent anti-inflammatory food. Equally, it may help keep the heart healthier, as well as stabilizing blood pressure.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Fresh red cabbage leaves (as much as you want)
- Chicken breast suya skewers (you can sub with tofu, fish, or chickpea)
- Lettuce (cut/chopped)
- Green onions (chopped or cut)
- Red onions (sliced)
- A dash of salt and black pepper
- Jalapeno (optional)
- Lime (for garnishing)
- Light sour cream (optional)
- Feta cheese (optional)
How to Make Red Cabbage Tacos
First, wash and clean the cabbage, (always wash vegetables before use) Then gently separate the leaves, these are called “wraps.” Second, make sure to dry the leaves/wraps with a paper towel. Finally, fill in your cabbage leaves with your desired vegetables and protein. You see? Easy peasy to make cabbage wraps. You can add whatever you want; this helps you to know what works better next time. With this red cabbage taco, you have the freedom to create. Please see the recipe card for step-by-step instructions.
How to Serve Red Cabbage Taco
I love serving this with Nigerian Chicken Suya, which I love to make with some chicken breast. Though chicken is my choice of protein you use tofu or fish. Then I would add red onions, some lettuce leaves for a touch of greens, avocado, jalapeño, and some feta cheese. The truth is that you choose what you want to add to your red cabbage taco, period.Print
Red cabbage wrap aka red cabbage taco is a great alternative to regular taco wraps. This healthy red cabbage chicken wrap is low-carb, easy and insanely delicious! You can easily make it vegan by not adding the chicken and cheese. This recipe is an incredible way to enjoy the rich taco flavors without the added calories. The best part about this low-carb taco wrap is that I served it with the yummiest Nigerian Chicken Suya!
- 4 – 6 red big cabbage wraps leaves (or more; I would usually use two cabbage leaves for one taco wrap. And 4 leaves serve one person)! Free to use as much leaves as you want.
- 4 (already made) chicken breast suya skewers (you can sub with tofu, fish or even chickpea)
- Small bundle of lettuce leaves (cut/chopped)
- 2 tablespoons green onions (chopped or cut)
- ½ cup of sliced red onions
- ½ – 1 avocado
- A dash of salt and black pepper
- 1 whole Roma tomato
- 1 Jalapeno (optional)
- 1 Lime
- 2 tablespoon of light sour cream (optional)
- 1-tablespoon feta cheese (optional)
- Remove some of the outer parts of the red cabbage, which I would refer to as the skin. Then gently pull out some leaves according to how many servings you wish to make. Wash thoroughly in water and use some paper towel to dry, then set aside and prepare the filling.
- As per protein; sauté a chicken breast or use leftover that you already have. Alternatively, you can follow my instructions to make Nigerian Chicken Suya. You can also use any other protein of choice such as tofu, shrimp, or steak!
- Cut all the vegetables; lettuce leaves, tomatoes, red onions, green onions, jalapeños, avocado; check to see if you need to trim the red cabbage leaves as well.
- To build the red cabbage taco, lay two leaves on a flat plate, then start by adding the green lettuce leaves, tomato slices, followed by every other thing. There is no right or wrong way to do this. Finish up with a dollop of light sour cream, Jalapeno, green onions, and feta cheese. And before you dig in, feel free to sprinkle a dash of salt and black pepper for an even escalation of all the flavors. Enjoy your yummy and delicious red cabbage taco!
Some of the cabbage leaves may seem too wide, it is ok to use kitchen scissors and trim them up.
This recipe serves just one person, multiple as you wish.
You can substitute Chicken with Tofu, or fish.
You can easily make it vegan by not adding the chicken and cheese.
You can double this recipe as needed. To meal prep, you can make your protein and prep your cabbage leaves. Then assemble them when you want to eat!
Keywords: Taco, Wraps, Healthy wraps, Taco Tuesday, Healthy Taco, Low-carb, Healthy recipes,
WANT MORE LOW-CARB RECIPES?
- Deconstructed Taco Bowl
- Chicken and carrot Stir-fry.
- Nigerian Chicken Suya.
- Healthy Oven-baked drumsticks,
Finally, let’s connect on social media, am on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. If you like video recipes, then be sure to head over to my YouTube Channel. Share this recipe post, and SAVE/PIN THIS IMAGE ON PINTEREST! ⤵️
THANKS FOR STOPPING BY! Stay well, safe and keep living your life to the fullest!