The best thing aside from making this dish is actually eating it! This deconstructed taco bowl or taco salad is the best way to enjoy Taco, in my opinion. And the best part is that you get to add your favorite veggies, and make it your way!
2 – 3 cups of fresh leave spinach
1 – 2 cups of cooked black beans
1 chicken breast
1 sweet potato
1 medium size English cucumber (sliced) or 1 cup sliced.
½ an avocado (or more)
½ cup chopped onions
½ cup of chopped bell peppers
½ – 1 cup of fresh grape tomatoes
2 garlic cloves (grated)
½ teaspoon of ginger (grated)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
A dash of dry thyme
1 tablespoon chopped green onions
A dash of seasoning powder
2 tablespoon of olive oil (or less if using oil spray)
Some olives; optional
- Wash/clean the chicken, then dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle salt, pepper, thyme, and a little seasoning powder on the chicken, use your hand and give the chicken a good rub.
- Place a clean pan on the stove, add a little oil (about a tablespoon), allow to heat up, and gently place the chicken to sauté. Cook 5 – 7 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. The amount of cook time usually depends on the thickness of the chicken. Set aside
- Slice the sweet potatoes, season lightly with salt and pepper, add a little oil (about two teaspoons) to a clean pan. Place the sweet potatoes on it, and sauté on the stove on low – medium heat. Cover and allow to cook for 7 – 10 minutes on each side until fully cooked. Usually, the length of cooking time will depend on the thickness of the potato slices. Remove from the stove and set aside after cooking.
- To sauté the black beans: In the same pan that you had sautéed the chicken, add the onions, cook 2 minutes to soften a bit, then add the bell peppers and cook for another 1 – 2 minutes, and add the grape tomatoes. Lower the heat and add salt, pepper, seasoning powder, and then grate in the garlic and ginger. Give a good stir, and taste for flavors, and adjust appropriately. Cook for the next 2 minutes or so until these veggies are properly sautéed, and tastes divine, then scoop out into a clean plate. Add a teaspoon of oil into the same pan, and then the black beans. Allow black beans to heat up properly, add a dash of salt, and pepper if necessary, may not be needed if using already seasoned black beans. Then lower heat, and return the sautéed vegetables into the pot alongside the beans. Give the entire food a good stir, ensuring everything combines well. Taste for flavors, and set aside.
- Mash avocado with salt, pepper, and some fresh green onions. Squeeze a little lime or lemon juice, so that it helps the guacamole from turning brown. Mash avocado last, close to the time you are ready to eat. Taste for flavors and adjust, and set aside.
- To put this bowl together, lay the spinach leaves on the floor of the bowl. Then add the black beans in the middle. Surround with sweet potatoes, cucumbers, chicken, and a couple of olives, top with mashed avocado. Add a slice of avocado and lemon wedge to garnish. Enjoy!
I like to mash the avocado after putting the bowl together. Lol, I do not want it to change color before I start eating. Always prep it last.
You can substitute the onions, bell peppers, and grape tomatoes with a cup of frozen mixed veggies. Feel free to use whatever Vegetables you have on hand.
If using canned black beans, remember to drain the water and rinse.
Keep your eyes on the potatoes; it can quickly burn/turn black, it doesn’t look great if overcooked.
This recipe serves 1 – 2 people.
Prep time does not include the for cooking dry black beans.
To save time, while sautéing the chicken also start cooking the sweet potatoes with another pan.
You can substitute some of the olive oil with oil spray.
- Category: Lunch/dinner
- Method: stove-top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Taco Bowl, Healthy meal prep bowls, healthy taco salad recipe, taco salad, sweet potato taco recipe, black beans taco, taco burrito bowl, chicken taco, deconstructed taco bowl recipe, healthy taco, Taco platter, taco recipe, deconstructed food, sweet potato and black beans taco, black beans tacos