Blessed by broccoli.
In reality, broccoli is indeed a blessing to my crew and me. Not only do the kids enjoy eating it; the husband also adores it as well as yours truly. My entire family is always over the top excited when it comes to this vegetable, so making broccoli cheddar soup is no brainer.
This quick and easy recipe of healthy and hearty broccoli cheddar soup is full of essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. This soup is perfect for the body and soul. Alongside broccoli, you will also need some sautéed chicken breast (high-quality protein), which is entirely optional but highly necessary. I wanted this dish to be a complete meal and more balanced nutrition; and that’s what I get by with the chicken. To reduce fat, I decided to use 2% percent skim milk cheddar cheese (you can use full fat, it is totally up to you), half and half cream, and a good amount of onions and garlic. I also substituted butter for olive oil.
Broccoli benefits:First of all, broccoli is not just a basic vegetable, it a superfood. Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable; therefore it contains certain compounds that can diminish cell damage. Click To Tweet
In the long run, broccoli may protect against certain cancers such as breast, prostate, colorectal, kidney/bladder, etc. The research on the exact role broccoli plays in cancer prevention, or cure is still not very conclusive at this time. Broccoli supports good digestive health while also reducing constipation. Due to broccoli’s high fiber content (like most vegetables), it helps you maintain bowel regularity. Ok, isn’t that ah-mazing? Broccoli equally supports healthy brain and mental function; this was according to research conducted on older citizens.
Additionally, the high vitamin C content of broccoli also provides more immunity to the body. This vegetable is also said to lower blood sugar; in fact, the health benefits of broccoli is countless. And in the view of all of them, I want to encourage you to eat more if you haven't yet. Start with my healthy and hearty broccoli cheddar soup. It is a definition of YUM!
Now if you are ready as I am, let's make some soup!
This recipe quick and easy recipe of healthy and hearty broccoli cheddar soup is full of with essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Serve by itself or with garlic bread, crackers or with some shredded carrots for more vitamins.
- 3 cups of cut broccoli florets or more
- 2 (– 3) cups of homemade chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 – 2 chicken breast(s) (cut in cubes or squares and set aside; optional but necessary)
- 1 cup of half and half organic cream
- 1½ cup of cheddar cheese (2% milk or skim milk)
- 2 tablespoons of floor
- ½ cup of cut onions
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 Maggi cube
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (sauté the chicken in it and use it to cook the soup as well)
- 1-teaspoon of salt or less
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
- Sautee chicken breast in olive oil and set aside. Using the same pot and the same leftover oil (or use a different pot and add two tablespoons of oil), add onions and minced garlic. Allow to cook for about 2 minutes and then add the flour, keep continuously stirring for about two more minutes. Then add the chicken broth, cream, black pepper, salt, Maggi cube, water, and give a good stir. Then add the entire broccoli, stir and cover.
- Cook on medium heat for about 20 – 25 minutes or more until the broccoli is soft (remember to stir in between cooking time ensure that the soup is not overflowing or sticking to the pot. After the said time or fully cooked and soft, stir in the sautéed chicken breast, taste the soup (and add additional salt/seasoning as you may desire). Then add the cheese and give a good stir. Your delicious healthy and hearty broccoli cheddar soup is ready. Serve by itself or with garlic bread, crackers or with some shredded carrots for more vitamins.
Here is a quick (less than 2 minutes) of how exactly I made this goodness if videos are your preference. Enjoy!
OK, am seriously itching to know how you make your broccoli soup, if you ever make them? Tell me in the comment.
Noteworthy: Here in my kitchen we inspire each other to live our best healthy live without judgment and resentment. When you join me FREE, you will also get exclusive healthy tips and hacks! Be a part of my culinary journey as I cook up some of the recipes I ate growing up while living here in beautiful America, plus plenty more. And if you prefer light and lovely recipes, I got you!
One More Thing: Please share this post with your friend and family, you never know who may wanna try this out?
*Some links on this post are affiliates. Meaning I (don’t) make tons of bucks when you make a purchase using them, just so you know:)