Easy, creamy, nutritious, and delicious healthy broccoli cheddar soup recipe with chicken is the best soup recipe for Fall or any time of the year. This broccoli cheddar soup healthy version is particularly kid-friendly.
Double batch this healthier broccoli cheddar soup recipe, pack them up in containers and freeze them for a hearty, healthy, warming soup whenever you want. We enjoy broccoli cheddar soup with chicken all year round, especially during the cold season!
- 2 big heads of broccoli; about 4-5 cups (not sure).
- 2 cups of shredded fresh carrot
- 3 cups of homemade chicken broth
- 3 boneless chicken thighs; (optional but necessary)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1½ cups of cheddar cheese
- ½ – 1 cup onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil (use one tablespoon to sauté the chicken and use 1 – 2 to cook the soup)
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 Maggi cube or 1 teaspoon of knorr bouillon (optional)
- ½–1 teaspoon of salt (I used ½ cos my chicken broth is seasoned)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Cut. Cut the vegetables – broccoli, shred the carrot, cut the onions, grate/mince the garlic, and cut the chicken.
- Sautee chicken. Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a clean hot pan, and sauté the chicken until fully cooked and set aside—season with salt, black pepper, and dry thyme.
- Onions and Garlic. Using the same pot, add more olive oil (about one tablespoon or more), add onions, saute a little, and add garlic.
- Add Broth. Then add the chicken broth, allow to simmer, and then add the carrots—season with a little salt and pepper. Simmer.
- Add Broccoli and Cream. Add broccoli, water, and Knorr bouillon, and stir to combine. Then add the cream, give a good stir, cover, and cook on low-medium for 15 minutes or until broccoli softens. Then, dissolve two tablespoons of flour in 1/2 cup of water and stir it in.
- Blend some of the soup (optional step). (Place the heat on low). Scoop some of the broccoli cheddar soup into a blender, blend/purée, and then return back to the pot. This step is optional, but I love it for a creamier, less chunky consistency. Remember, this is a kid-friendly broccoli cheddar soup version.
- Add the Chicken. Stir in the sautéed chicken breast, taste, and adjust the flavor of your soup!
- Add Cheese. Finally, add the sharp cheddar cheese. I like sharp cheddar for my broccoli cheese soup for maximum flavor. Gently stir, and your delicious healthy broccoli cheddar soup is ready. Serve by itself or with garlic bread and crackers.
- WATCH HOW TO MAKE THIS SOUP BELOW ⬇️
To reduce fat, use 2% percent skim milk cheddar cheese (or you can stick with a full-fat cheese totally up to you).
Also, feel free to opt for half and half or whole milk instead of heavy cream.
I used olive oil; however, you can use butter.
Blending some of the soup is optional. However, I highly suggest it, especially if you have kids to feed. Chunky broccoli florets will likely discourage kids from enjoying this soup. I typically blend about 1/2 – 3/4 of the soup.
You should expect this soup’s color to change to a bit greener after blending some parts.
If you use sodium-free chicken broth, you may have to add more salt. I used my homemade chicken broth, which was well-salted and seasoned. I added less than 1/2 teaspoon of salt to this cheddar soup. Always add salt to your preference.
Knorr Bouillon is optional.
If you want a thicker soup, use less liquid and add more flour.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Broccoli, Broccoli Soup, Winter Soup, Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Warming Soup,