What is A Self-Care Routine?
Self-care routines are the practice of taking care of yourself to promote your physical, emotional, and mental well-being. This means dedicating the necessary time regularly to engage in activities that encourage restfulness, relaxation, stress relief, and mindfulness. The title of the book “The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck summarizes self-care for me! Self-care is not selfish; however, it means that you have to put yourself first. It is an act of learning how to do good things for yourself (if you aren’t already). Or continuing to do those things that will give you joy and make you feel at peace and stressless! It doesn’t mean big things. Although sometimes it could be a big thing like going on a vacation. Self-care routines will help you relax!
There are various self-care ideas, such as exercise, meditation, journaling, spending time in nature, taking a luxury bath, reading a book, owning a pet, or socializing with friends and family. The goal of a self-care routine is to prioritize your own needs and develop healthy habits that can improve your overall well-being
Also, self care routines can differ from person to person. For instance, one of my self-care routines includes healthy eating. For instance, I like to make sure that I meal prep each start of the work week. I like prepping salmon, chicken, quinoa, or rice to make my week stressless. Yours may differ, but at the end of the day, these healthy routines help us improve our quality of life. By practicing self-care routines, you live healthier and happier.. It can help boost your mood as well as reduce your stress.
BEST 12 Self Care Routines To Practice Monthly:
January – Gratitude!
Start your year with a gratitude journal. One of my favorite self-care routines is using my gratitude journal. I always look forward to writing down the things that I am grateful for at the end of each day! Starting a gratitude journal is a great way to boost your everyday well-being. Take a few minutes each day to reflect on the things in your life that you are thankful for and write them down in a journal. You can write down three things you’re grateful for every day. This simple practice can help you shift your focus from what you lack to what you have, as well as cultivate a more positive outlook on life. Personally, one of my goals this year is to journal more!
How to Start a Gratitude Journal:
- Choose a journal. There are tons of journals in the store. You can use any notebook or journal that you like. Choose one that speaks to you or that you find aesthetically pleasing. Not which journal to use? See Good Days Starts with Gratitude – a 52 week gratitude journal!
- Set aside time. Decide on a time of day when you can regularly write in your journal. Many people find that writing in the morning or before bed works excellently.
- Write down three things you’re grateful for. Each day, write down three things you’re thankful for. These can be big or small things, such as a good meal, walking the kids to school, and walking the dog.
- Reflect on your day. Take a moment to reflect on your day and think about the good things that happened.
- Acknowledge the lessons and focus on the blessings in your life.
- Don’t stop! Staying consistent is essential when it comes to journalling; as with anything else in life, stay consistent.
Remember, a gratitude journal aims to focus on the positive aspects of your life. Don’t worry too much about grammar or spelling – just write from the heart. Check out some of these best self-care journals: BestSelf Co. Self Journal, Good Days Start with Gratitude, Self-care Check In, and Promptly Journal.
February – A Break!
Take a Social Media Break! February may be a great time to take a social media break for a week. Use that time to connect with your loved ones in person or over the phone. One of the many under-rated self-care routines is taking a social media break! I have never regretted taking an Instagram break! One of the best self-care routines I felt really proud about!
Why Should You Take a Social Media Break?
Raise your hand if you have ever taken a social media break before. LOL (my two hands are up)! The truth is that taking a social media break can actually benefit your mental health and well-being.
Here are some reasons why you should consider taking a social media break:
- Reduce stress and anxiety. Social media can be tough. Taking a break can help you disconnect from the constant barrage of information and notifications and give your mind a chance to rest. I took more than a year of Instagram break and am slowly trying to return.
- Improve sleep. Taking a break from social media indeed gives you more room to rest and sleep. This is because SM can keep you scrolling endlessly!
- Increase productivity. Social media can easily distract you from accomplishing meaningful tasks. Taking a break from it can stop this major distraction from taking up valuable time and energy that you can use on more productive activities.
- Improve relationships. I love building meaningful relationships offline; unfortunately, SM can hinder that!! Also, taking a break from it can help stop the comparison analysis. Annnnd not comparing yourself is a form of self-care!
March self-care routines.
Free more time and reduce your workload by signing up for grocery delivery services, house cleaning services, etc. You have several things to do but with very little time, so it is essential to be intentional with your time. Every one of the self-care routines requires time.
How about you focus on taking some workload off your plate in March? With your newly found free time, you start meditating for 10 minutes every day. Or start exercising more (if weight loss is part of your goal). With free time, you can cook more, meal prep better, and stir in the direction of a healthy lifestyle if that is your intention. But, most importantly, do take some roles/chores off your plate in March. (P.S. this chicken fajitas is fantastic for meal prep)!
April – Get Moving!
Get outside, get physical and move your body. Take a walk, go for a hike, or practice yoga in nature. Personally, I feel so good when I take a walk. But I encourage you to do what works for you!
Why Should You Move Often?
Getting outside and moving your body is one of the best ways to improve your overall well-being. Whether it’s going for a walk, a run, or any other physical activity, it can help reduce stress while boosting your mood and overall health. So why not grab your sneakers and head out for some fresh air and exercise? You’ll feel better for it!
Benefits of Moving (Physical Activities)
- Moving helps you stay physically fit and healthy by keeping your body active and preventing a sedentary lifestyle.
- It can improve mental well-being as well as increase your energy.
- Moving may be a form of relaxation. I love walking and it is one of the ways I relax.
- Explore other forms of movement, such as dancing. I once joined an online Zumba class. (P.S. You guessed right, that’s me below on a walk)
May – start/learn a new hobby!
Try a new hobby or skill. There are several soothing self-care hobbies you can try. For instance, you can sign up for a cooking class or learn new dishes from a cookbook! Learn a language, or take up painting, knitting or gardening. Also, dancing, journaling, and hiking are all fantastic self-care hobbies you can start. The bottom line is to do something totally new that you will enjoy! I suggest you seek only hobbies aka self-care routines you will enjoy! Do not add stress, reduce it!
Benefits Of Learning A New Skill:
Learning a new skill is not just a great way to expand your knowledge and abilities. It can also have many benefits for your personal and professional growth.
- Become more confident. You can boost your confidence by learning something new. As you master new techniques and concepts, you’ll feel a sense of pride and achievement that can boost your self-esteem.
- Expand your horizons: Trying a new skill can expose you to new ideas, people, and experiences. This can broaden your perspective and help you develop a well-rounded view of the world.
- Stay mentally sharp: Learning a new skill helps your brain to stay active and healthy. Additionally, trying a new hobby can improve memory, concentration, and problem-solving abilities.
- Build new relationships: Trying a new skill can be a great way to meet new people who share your interests. This can help you build new friendships and professional connections.
- Enhance your career: Learning a new skill can make you more valuable to employers and improve your job prospects. It can also help you stand out from other candidates and advance in your career.
P.S. You can learn how to make new exciting dishes from me when you get Make Time For Dinner! ⬇️
Make Time for Dinner
Never ever run out of healthy recipe ideas to make again – enjoy healthier and tasty restaurant-quality dishes in the comfort of your home, impressively made by you! You will save money, eat healthy, and make time for dinner!
self-care routines for June.
Take a relaxing luxury bath or get a massage as your next self-care ritual. You have the right to treat yourself to some much-needed rest/relaxation. Have you ever considered taking a relaxing bath as a form of self-care? It’s a great way to unwind after a long day, and it can help you feel refreshed and rejuvenated. You can add some Epsom salt or essential oils to the water to make it even more relaxing. So why not take some time and indulge in a nice, soothing bath? Your mind and body will thank you for it.
July Self-care Routines – nature.
Spend time in nature. There are several nature-related activities to do, such as camping, going to the beach, or hiking.
What happens when you spend time in nature? Spending time in nature can have various positive effects on both the mind and body. Whether it’s taking a walk in the park, hiking in the mountains, or simply spending time in your backyard, spending time in nature is a great way to improve your mental and physical health.
Spending time in nature can be a great way to unwind, relax, and recharge. Here are some tips on how to make the most of your time in the great outdoors:
Tips To Spending Time in Nature
- Choose your location wisely. Find a place that speaks to you, whether it’s a local park, hiking trail, or beach.
- Plan ahead. Ensure you have all the necessary gear, such as hiking shoes, sunscreen, and insect repellent.
- Disconnect: Leave your phone behind and immerse yourself in nature. Take in the sights, sounds, and smells around you. Personally, I will take my phone with me but will disconnect from social media to take in the unique moments of nature!
- Engage with your surroundings. Take a hike, go for a swim, or simply sit and observe the wildlife around you.
- Practice mindfulness. Use your time in nature to focus on the present moment and let go of any worries or stresses.
- Leave no trace. Respect the environment by packing out any trash and leaving the area as you find it.
Remember, spending time in nature is good for the mind, body, and soul. So, get out there and enjoy all that the great outdoors has to offer!
August self-care routines.
Read a book that inspires you or teaches you something new. Set aside time every day to read and learn/read for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Putting your legs up and enjoying a great book is surely a self-care routine that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg! One of the cheapest self-care routines and yet very rewarding!
Reading a book can be a great way to expand your knowledge and find inspiration. Whether you’re interested in learning something new or exploring new ideas, there’s a book out there for you. Some great options for books that can inspire you or teach you something new include self-help books, biographies, and non-fiction books about a topic you’re interested in. Also, join a book club or discuss the book with friends to get even more out of your reading experience. So why not pick up a book today and see where it takes you?
Not exactly sure where to start? Here’re 5 personal development books everyone should read:
- Atomic Habits (Get it from Amazon)
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck (Get it on Amazon)
- Daring Greatly (Get it on Amazon)
- The Four Agreements (Get it on Amazon)
- The Worry Cure (Get it on Amazon)
Feel free to check out my own books as well Grateful Growing and Elevate Your Life with the Power of Positive Perception.
September – declutter!
Declutter your space. Get rid of things you no longer need or use and create a more organized and peaceful environment. Decluttering your space can be a great way to create a more inviting environment. Some people have said that decluttering your space can relieve stress and anxiety. But I say decluttering my space is one of my favorites self-care-routines!
How to Declutter Your Space: Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Begin small. Start with a small area, such as a single drawer or shelf, and work your way up to larger spaces. Most of the time, I like starting from my kitchen.
- Sort items into categories and separate the items you want to keep, donate, or throw away.
- Get rid of duplicates: If you have more than one of the same item, consider keeping only the one you use the most.
- Use storage solutions. I love shopping at IKEA for the majority of my storage needs, including bins and baskets.
- Keep surfaces clear. Clear off surfaces like tables and counters to create a more spacious and inviting environment.
Benefits of Decluttering Your Space
- First and foremost, it elevates your space and environment. Have you heard that “less is more?” Well that is actually true especially in home design.
- A more organized and peaceful environment can reduce stress and anxiety.
- You can improve/increase productivity by eliminating clutter, making it easier to focus on tasks.
- Additionally, decluttering can save time and money by making it easier to find things and reducing the need to purchase duplicates. It helps reduce allergens and create a more hygienic living space.
By following these tips, you can create a more organized and clutter-free space that will help you feel more relaxed and productive. Good luck!
October Self-care Routine – Mindfulness
In October, practice mindfulness. Take time to be present in the moment and observe your thoughts and feelings without judgment.
How Do You Practice Mindfulness?
There are many ways to practice mindfulness, but a simple way is to focus on your breath. You can sit in a quiet place and take deep breaths, paying attention to the sensation of the air moving in and out of your body. You can also practice mindfulness when washing dishes or brushing your teeth. Simply focus your attention on the task at hand and be present in the moment.
Benefits of Practicing Mindfulness
Mindfulness can enhance self-awareness and empathy, leading to stronger relationships and better communication. Engaging in the present moment helps us cultivate a sense of calm and inner peace. Thereby bringing positivity to our lives and others.
November – Connect with others, Volunteer.
Connect with others. Volunteer, attend social events, or spend time with friends and family. Connecting with others is an essential aspect of our lives. It helps us to build relationships, share experiences and ideas, and learn from each other. There are many ways to connect with others, such as socializing with friends and family, joining clubs or interest groups, attending events, and volunteering in the community. Connecting with others helps us enrich our lives and those around us. One of the best self-care routines is social relationships! Maintaining great social relationships with others is healthy and can help prolong life!
Amazingly, November is equally the month we celebrate Thanksgiving! The Thanksgiving holiday allows us to gather and enjoy the company of family and friends!
Tips to Volunteer More
- Identify your passions and skills: Think about what causes and activities you are passionate about and what skills you offer. Check out volunteer opportunities that align with your interests, purpose, and abilities.
- Research volunteer opportunities: Do some research to find out what volunteer opportunities are available in your community. You can start by visiting local non-profits, community centers, and religious organizations.
- Start small: Don’t feel you have to commit to a big project immediately. Start by volunteering for a few hours to see if you enjoy it.
- Commit: Schedule volunteering on your calendar just like any other activity. This will help you stay accountable and make volunteering a regular part of your life.
- Get friends and family involved: Volunteering can be a great way to spend time with loved ones while positively impacting your community. Consider inviting friends and family members to join you.
- Stay positive. Like everything in life, volunteering can be challenging, but remember that your efforts make a difference. Keep making a difference!
December – Reflect on the Year!
Reflect on the past year and set intentions for the new year. Take time to journal, set goals, and envision your future. End-of-the-year reflection is one of my favorite self-care routines. Personally, I don’t think there’s a better self-care routine than self-reflection. It helps you guide your journey. It helps me to become more thoughtful and a better person. The truth is that there is always room for improvement!
How to Reflect on the Past Year:
Reflecting on the past year can be a helpful exercise in gaining perspective and identifying areas for personal growth. Self reflection is an under-rated self care routine that will help you grow! Think about your accomplishments, challenges, and how you overcame them. It can also be helpful to consider your relationships with others and how to improve them moving forward. Finally, set some goals for the coming year based on your reflections. Remember, reflecting on the past year is a way to learn and grow, so be kind to yourself and focus on progress, not perfection.
How to Set Intentions for the New Year:
Setting intentions for the new year can help you focus on what you want to achieve and create a roadmap for achieving your goals. Here are some steps to help you set intentions for the new year:
- Reflect on the past year: Before you set intentions for the new year, take some time to reflect on the past year. What were your successes and challenges? What did you learn? Use this reflection to guide you as you set your goals for the coming year.
- Set Specific Goals: Your goals should be specific, measurable, and achievable. Instead of setting vague intentions like “be healthier,” specify your goals such as “exercise for 30 minutes every day” or “cook at least three healthy meals per week.”
- Write Down Your Goals: Writing them down makes them feel more real and can help you stay accountable. And ensure to place them where you can see them!
- Take action: Setting goals is just the first step. To achieve your goals, you need to take action. Make a plan for achieving your goals and take action daily to make them a reality.
Remember, setting intentions is excellent; however, following through with those intentions is even better! You can achieve anything you want with a clear vision and an action plan. Wanna see my 2024 goals and intentions? See them here on my Facebook page.
Last Words – Best Self-Care Routines for Each Month of the Year!
When considering the self-care routines to practice each month of the year, choose the things that will bring you joy and fulfillment! For instance, I consider healthy eating a self-care routine I must practice every month! In other words, these routines that I have enumerated here are simply ideas, and you have the final say! I hope they are helpful.
What self-care routine would you be practicing this year? Please share in the comment so we all can learn!
Finally, let’s connect on social media, am on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. If you like video recipes, then be sure to head over to my YouTube Channel. Share this recipe post, and SAVE/PIN THIS IMAGE ON PINTEREST! ⤵️
THANKS FOR STOPPING BY! Stay well, safe and keep living your life to the fullest!