The Best Whole Wheat Banana Bread Recipe.
We love banana bread here, particularly this healthy whole wheat banana bread; it is easy to make, pliable, and moist. Listen, you can never guess that this banana bread recipe comprises whole wheat because of its perfect texture. Consequently, you can serve this healthy banana bread as part of breakfast, brunch, snack, or dessert.
My goal today is to share with you this healthy whole wheat banana bread recipe. So far, this is my best take on this classic delicacy. First, this recipe calls for simple ingredients, (that are better for your health). Second, not only are these ingredients healthy; they are equally delicious! This whole wheat banana bread recipe is vegetarian (well obviously), refined sugar-free, and white flour free!
Be prepared to enjoy a slice of this bread with your favorite drink; I gobbled down a slice with a cup of vegan hot cocoa and my husband had his with golden milk. YUMMY!
Why I Love Banana Bread
I grew up in Nigeria, and a considerable part of my childhood involved watching banana trees mature and seeing them harvested, and eventually eating the bananas alongside other family members. Did I hear you say yum? You better say it louder! Fresh bananas from our backyards were always the best. And sometimes my mother would make banana pancakes (check out my modified version banana waffles, my kids loves them! Oh, dear sweet memories. I love this banana bread recipe because:
- We make them with bananas (yea, I love banana everything)!
- It is easy to make.
- It uses wholesome ingredients.
Tools for Baking Whole Wheat Banana Bread:
- A big bowl
- Potato Masher
- Parchment paper
- A big loaf pan or 2 smaller loaf pans or cake pans.
About Loaf Pans:
- You can use one big rectangular bread loaf pan like this 6-cup 8½ – 4½ bread pan (I also, used this pan to make my Cranberry Orange Bread). I typically bake this banana bread for about 50 – 60 minutes when using this loaf pan.
- On the other hand, you can use two smaller bread loaf pans if you don’t have the big loaf pan mentioned above. Whenever I have to use two smaller pans, I ensure to divide the dough equally. This helps them to cook evenly. Also, start checking them from the 40th minute. Using a smaller pan means it bakes quicker than a one big loaf pan.
- Finally, do not sweat it if you don’t have a loaf pan; a cake pan can easily get this job done! If you use a cake pan to make this banana bread recipe, remember you may need about two cake pans, and they will take less time to bake. In other words, the baking time will change. Pay attention and do not burn this banana bread. Typically a cake pan should bake between 25-35 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
The Ingredients for Honey Whole Wheat Banana Bread Recipe.
- Whole wheat flour
- Almond flour
- Overripe bananas
- Olive oil
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
When it comes to making this banana bread, the most essential of the ingredients is the banana, can you really make this recipe without it? Well, I have heard that some people used “banana flavor” I sure would not recommend that! Relatively, you will need whole wheat flour, almond flour, eggs, honey, olive oil, and milk. If you desire a banana nut bread, then add some walnut, also, bear in mind that this recipe is still very much nutty just the way it is because of the almond flour. And that is good enough for me, hope it works for you.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY WHOLE WHEAT BANANA BREAD (STEP-BY-STEP)
Step one: Preheat the oven to 325. Grease baking pan(s) and line with parchment paper.
Step two: Add the dry ingredients together – (whole wheat flour, almond flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt) and combine.
Step three: Add the three overripe bananas to a big bowl, use a potato masher to mash them, and set aside.
Step four: Add the olive oil and honey into the bowl, use a whisk to combine, then add the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and mix yet again. Then, add the mashed bananas.
Step five: Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients; use a spatula to combine gently. This doesn’t have to be smooth or completely without lumps. Do not over mix it. Pour this mixture into the greased and parchment-lined baking sheet.
Step six: Place in the already preheated oven and bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (insert a toothpick to check if it is ready)! I baked the big pan for approximately 58 minutes. Baking time can change because of the type of oven or the pan used.
After baking, allow cooling for up 10 – 15 before removing from the pan to place on the wire rack. Allow cooling further for 10 minutes or as needed before slicing. Enjoy a slice with hot cocoa, tea, coffee, or milk.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER BANANA BREAD
First of all, allow the bread to cool down completely before cutting. Then slice into thick or thin slices as desired. This recipe makes 8-10 slices of bread. Store leftover whole wheat banana bread in a dry clean container, and cover tightly. You can leave it on a tabletop for up to 4 days.
On the other hand, you can store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. I highly recommend storing them in the freezer if you wish to keep them for more than four days. (this is how I typically store mine)! When I bake, it lasts up to 2 weeks in the freezer.
How to serve Banana Bread
This healthy honey whole wheat banana bread is delicious, and it will be tempting to indulge! Remember that the serving size is a slice. Enjoy a slice with a cup of tea or coffee or good old water! Sometimes, when I want to be extra, I make a cup of my vegan hot chocolate alongside a slice (literally me all winter)!
Also, thanks to Cookie and Kate, her recipe inspired me to make this.
Want to Turn This Banana Bread into Muffins Instead?
You can easily turn this whole wheat banana bread recipe into muffins. Remember that the baking time will change to only 25-30 minutes; however, the temperature remains the same.
I suggest making two very simple changes. First, swap olive oil for butter; instead of ½ cup of olive oil, use only 1/3 cup of melted butter. Second, add a teaspoon of baking powder in addition to baking soda. This will make 12 delicious, whole wheat banana bread muffins that are great with coffee, hot cocoa, or pumpkin spice latte.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY HONEY WHOLE WHEAT BREAD:Print
Make this easy, moist, healthy honey whole wheat banana bread with overripe bananas, whole wheat flour, honey, and other pantry ingredients. This healthy honey whole wheat banana bread recipe is packed with flavors, and it is moist, fluffy, tasty, and more nutritious than most banana bread recipes! This recipe has the perfect texture. This honey whole wheat Banana bread can serve as breakfast, brunch, or dessert!
- Step one: Preheat the oven to 325. Grease baking pan(s) and line with parchment paper.
- Step two: Add the dry ingredients together – (whole wheat flour, almond flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt) and combine.
- Step three: Add the three overripe bananas to a big bowl, use a potato masher to mash them, and set aside.
- Step four: Add the olive oil and honey into the bowl, use a whisk to combine, then add the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and mix yet again. Then, add the mashed bananas.
- Step five: Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients; use a spatula to combine gently. This doesn’t have to be smooth or completely without lumps. And do not over mix it. Pour this mixture into the greased and parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Step six: Place in the already preheated oven and bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (insert a toothpick to check if it is ready)! I baked the big pan for approximately 58 minutes. Baking time can change because of the oven or the pan used.
- Step seven: After baking, allow cooling for up 10 – 15 before removing from the pan to place on the wire rack. Allow cooling further for 10 minutes or as needed before slicing. Enjoy a slice with hot cocoa, tea, coffee, or milk.
This bread is always gone within a day or two at my house because it is yummy, and everyone loves it. However, it can last up to 4 days on the tabletop. I suggest storing in the freezer if you wish to keep them for longer.
You can use any non-dairy milk of choice. Also, dairy milk would work just fine!
Make it nuttier by addition some walnuts or any other nut of choice.
Use toothpick to check if your banana bread is ready.
This honey whole wheat Banana bread can serve as breakfast, brunch, or dessert!
In the absence of a potato masher, use a fork to mash the bananas.
Keywords: Banana Bread, Healthy Banana Bread, Quick Bread, Healthy Banana Bread Recipe, Whole wheat Banana Bread recipe, Refined sugar-free desserts, Easy banana bread recipe, Banana Almond flour recipe, Banana Dessert
More Quick Bread Recipes to Try:
Cranberry Orange Bread. Easy cranberry orange bread with orange glaze is moist, tasty, flavorful, and sharp. This bread is perfect for dessert, breakfast, or brunch; let us say it is versatile.
Healthy pumpkin bread made with fresh pumpkin puree is as nutritious as it is delicious. It’s ideal for breakfast, dessert, or even as a snack!
Healthy Cornbread Recipe. Easy + healthy cornbread that is moist, tasty and easy to make. It requires only a few ingredients!
Air Fryer Irish Soda Bread. This soda bread recipe is delicious and hearty; crusty/rustic outside and a little dense inside.
CHECK OUT more Banana Recipes:
Finally, do not forget to share this recipe post with people you love, and SAVE/PIN THIS IMAGE ON PINTEREST. ⤵️
Stay well and safe.