BEST Healthy Cornbread Recipe.
A simple healthy cornbread recipe is moist, not chewy, more nutritious than most cornbread recipes, and yet super easy to make! Listen, this is not your regular grannie’s cornbread recipe. With this cornbread recipe, you get all the tastiness of southern cornbread without heavy calories. In my opinion, this is the best cornbread recipe, and the only cornbread recipe you need, trust me on this.
- No bacon fat;
- No leftover (animal) grease;
- A few simple ingredients;
- An easy to follow recipe;
- And a happy ending.
Cornbread Recipe Ingredients:
- All-purpose Flour
- Butter Milk
- Cane Sugar
- Baking powder
Why We Love Cornbread!
- It requires only few ingredients!
- This healthy cornbread recipe is moist, and not chewy at all.
- It has less calories than most cornbread recipes
- This cornbread is kid-friendly and (adult-friendly as well, lol). I mean it is a crowd-pleaser!
- Perfect as dessert, snack, or breakfast!
In case if you are not very familiar with cornbread (well, am sure you kind of know what cornbread is). it is some kind of a “quick bread” made with cornmeal, all-purpose flour and without yeast. Similarly, baking powder is the leavening ingredient instead. The history of cornbread goes back to Native American history though it is highly esteemed and enjoyed in the south. So, it is not unusual for people to think that cornbread as a “southern cooking” delicacy.
Perfect Family-Friendly Dessert
Here is a little short story about this cornbread. So, it was my husband’s birthday a few days ago, and though he wasn’t physically around because he is currently at deployment, the kids and I proceeded to make his favorite thing – cornbread! He loves cornbread, and we love him! And of course, we proceeded to eat it on his behalf. Hahahaha
This very Cornbread recipe is indeed a classic. It is also health-ish yet tastier. This super easy to make dessert will warm your heart and put a smile on your face. Likewise, it is about to become a favorite on your dinner table, during a family gathering, and even the next birthday celebration.
HOW TO MAKE CLASSIC + HEALTHY CORNBREAD RECIPEPrint
Classic And Healthier Cornbread Recipe
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 Servings 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
This is the only cornbread recipe you need; simple ingredients, easy to make, and delightfully pleasing.
- 1½ cups corn meal
- ½ cup flour
- 1-teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1-cup buttermilk
- 2 medium size eggs
- 6 tablespoons of butter; melted (you can substitute with coconut oil, but I prefer the richness of butter)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- Mix dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a bowl, then mix wet ingredients (buttermilk, eggs, honey, and melted butter) in a different container.
- Combine the two until there is no clumps, yet, do now over mix. Pour the mix into a well-greased baking dish, and place in a preheated 450 oven. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 375, and bake for the remaining 10 minutes.
- The cornbread is ready when toothpick insert comes out clean. Then remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting a piece for yourself, enjoy this hearty and happy meal with the people you love.
You can substitute butter with coconut oil, but I prefer the richness of butter. And am not exactly sure how it will affect the taste of the recipe.
If you desire a very sweet cornbread then you may want to add additional sugar. And if you wish for an extra moist cornbread, you may also need more butter/grease.
I have also seen people add more melted butter or honey after baking to moisten, that’s just unnecessary calories (in my opinion). Remember this is a healthier cornbread recipe and that is why it calls for only six tablespoons of butter/oil as well as less sugar.
You can choose to bake this cornbread from start finish at 375, but I personally like starting at a high temperature (450) and then lowering a bit to 375. By this, I get the crisp from the outside.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer/snacks/Side dish/Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cornbread recipe, healthy cornbread recipe, honey cornbread, how to make healthy cornbread, baked bread, bread dessert,
More Quick Bread Recipes to Try:
Whole Wheat Banana Bread. Moist, tasty, easy to make, and exquisite are some of the words that perfectly capture the deliciousness of this healthy whole wheat banana bread.
Cranberry Orange Bread. Easy cranberry orange bread with orange glaze is moist, tasty, flavorful, and sharp. This bread is perfect for dessert, breakfast, or brunch; let us say it is versatile.
Air Fryer Irish Soda Bread. This soda bread recipe is delicious and hearty; crusty/rustic outside and a little dense inside.
Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe with Fresh Pumpkin Purée. It’s one of those things you can feel good about gobbling up with family and friends for breakfast, dessert, or even as a snack!
More Snack Recipes to Try:
- Vegan Almond Cacao Cookies.
- Zucchini and Cashew Nut Bites.
- Easy Granola Balls.
- Chunky Air Fryer Granola with Banana & Oats.
Healthy Breakfast Recipes:
- Coconut milk oatmeal with stewed cherries.
- Thick Avocado coconut smoothie.
- Greek yogurt oatmeal pancakes.
Finally, let’s connect on social media; I am on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter; let’s stay connected everywhere.
Can’t wait to see you again, remember to share this recipe, and please SHARE THIS IMAGE ON PINTEREST. ⤵️
THANKS FOR STOPPING BY! Stay well, safe and keep cooking!
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILI ATE LINKS, you are not charged more for using these links, but I make little coins when you do.
Oh, my! Now I want cornbread…
Have you ever used Amish Friendship Bread starter in your cornbread? I tried it for the first time this year. Delicious.
Now I have to go find something for breakfast! lol… Peace to you!
I hear you.
But, I have never heard of “Amish Friendship Bread Starter.” Will check it out.
Thanks for stopping by.
This is slightly different from the one I make. I’ll try this kind and see. Sounds and looks delicious 😋. Thanks for sharing!
Please let me know when you try this one, am sure you will like it!😊
Goal here is to enjoy cornbread without guilt!😂😂😂