This is the only cornbread recipe you need; simple ingredients, easy to make, and delightfully pleasing.
- 1½ cups corn meal
- ½ cup flour
- 1-teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1-cup buttermilk
- 2 medium size eggs
- 6 tablespoons of butter; melted (you can substitute with coconut oil, but I prefer the richness of butter)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- Mix dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a bowl, then mix wet ingredients (buttermilk, eggs, honey, and melted butter) in a different container.
- Combine the two until there is no clumps, yet, do now over mix. Pour the mix into a well-greased baking dish, and place in a preheated 450 oven. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 375, and bake for the remaining 10 minutes.
- The cornbread is ready when toothpick insert comes out clean. Then remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting a piece for yourself, enjoy this hearty and happy meal with the people you love.
You can substitute butter with coconut oil, but I prefer the richness of butter. And am not exactly sure how it will affect the taste of the recipe.
If you desire a very sweet cornbread then you may want to add additional sugar. And if you wish for an extra moist cornbread, you may also need more butter/grease.
I have also seen people add more melted butter or honey after baking to moisten, that’s just unnecessary calories (in my opinion). Remember this is a healthier cornbread recipe and that is why it calls for only six tablespoons of butter/oil as well as less sugar.
You can choose to bake this cornbread from start finish at 375, but I personally like starting at a high temperature (450) and then lowering a bit to 375. By this, I get the crisp from the outside.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer/snacks/Side dish/Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cornbread recipe, healthy cornbread recipe, honey cornbread, how to make healthy cornbread, baked bread, bread dessert,