Easy and healthy chicken coconut milk soup is packed with tasty boneless chicken thighs, coconut milk, warm spices, and vegetables! This soup is savory, sweet, flavorful, and insanely satisfying. Serve this coconut soup with rice, boiled potatoes, or plantains.
The best thing about this chicken coconut soup is that it cooks in no time! Equally, it is gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo-friendly, and irresistibly finger-licking good!
3 pounds of chicken
Ingredients for marinating the chicken:
2 – 3 big garlic cloves (grated)
Big thumb of ginger (about one tablespoon; grated)
1 heaping teaspoon of Mama Manje (or 1 teaspoon + half)
1 teaspoon of salt (always add salt according to your taste)
1 teaspoon of Knorr cube
¼ teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of onions powder
1½ – 2 cups of roughly blended tomato – pepper paste (use 1/2 each of red, green, and yellow the bell peppers + 1 big tomato)
1 cup of chopped onions (or 1 small whole onion)
1¾ cups of coconut milk (or 1 can of light coconut milk)
1 cup of homemade chicken broth (or store-bought chicken broth)
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
2 (Nigerian) Knorr cubes (or 2 teaspoons of Knorr powder)
1 Jalapeño (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley (optional; for garnishing)
- Wash, clean the chicken; dry off excess moisture, cut into bite sizes, and place in a clean bowl.
- Grate garlic and ginger; add all the ingredients for marinating the chicken to the chicken bowl.
- While wearing gloves, use your hand to mix well. Then cover with a cling film and set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Chop the onions, and set them aside. In a food processor, add the bell peppers and the tomato, roughly process, and set aside.
- Place a clean pan on the stove, add coconut oil, heat up, and then place chicken in a single layer. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. Do not overcrowd the pan; cook in batches if necessary. Cover cooked chicken with cling film until needed.
- Add the oil from the pan to a separate pan or continue in the same pan if it is big enough. Add onions, cook until translucent, stir in salt, and then add the tomato pepper blend. Stir, cover, and simmer, crush in the Knorr cube, add black pepper, and stir.
- Add the chicken broth, stir, and add the coconut milk. Cover, and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Gently add the chicken, taste, and adjust flavors. Cover, and allow to simmer for 8 – 10 minutes. Finally, add chopped parsley. Serve with rice or boiled ripe plantains as we did!
This recipe is my collaboration with Spice Tribe; I incorporated their very flavorful Mama Manje, Haitian Blend. And It took this soup to the next level.
This is not a regular Nigerian Stew or Thai coconut soup, they undoubtedly inspired me, but I made this soup entirely with different ingredients and technic!
Though I use boneless skinless chicken thighs, I am sure chicken breast or any other part of chicken would equally work!
Make to watch the video to see the step-by-step process.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tropical
Keywords: Chicken soup, Chicken recipe, Coconut soup, Coconut milk soup, Coconut chicken soup, Coconut soup Thai