Sometimes, simple foods are the best. A box of macaroni pasta, tomato paste, onions, and you are ready! Say hello to dinner in a flash! And it is super tasty too! – YUM.
- 1 box of elbow macaroni (I didn’t use the entire box; check NOTE)
- 1 big boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 3 ounce of tomato paste (or half of a 6 oz. tin)
- 1 cup of sliced yellow or white onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt to taste plus more to add to cook the pasta with
- ¼ teaspoon of rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of seasoning powder
- ¾ cup of pasta water (aka water from cooking the macaroni)
- ½ cup of grape tomato (optional; and for garnishing)
- Small bunch of parsley (optional; for garnishing), see NOTE.
- 2 tablespoons sliced red/purple onions (optional; for garnishing)
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions (optional; for garnishing)
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to manufacturer’s instruction, and set aside. Do not throw away the water yet; I mean pasta water.
- Cut already washed/cleaned and patted down chicken breast into bite pieces. This would probably be less than 1” sizes, then sprinkle some salt, pepper, and paprika, mix well to combine. Sauté in olive oil; to sauté: add oil to a clean pan and allow to heat up. Then add the marinated chicken breast, keep stirring while making sure that it doesn’t burn. Cook chicken through (about 5 – 7 minutes), remove from oil and set aside.
- In the same pot/pan add the remaining olive oil, or in another clean pot, add the oil from the sauté plus the remaining oil, allow to heat up and add onions, and garlic. Cook to soften and then add the tomatoes, rosemary, seasoning powder, a little more pepper, and cook for about 5 minutes. Keep stirring as you cook to avoid burning or sticking to the bottom of the pot. After 5 minutes, add the pasta water, taste and adjust flavors, then lower the heat, and it is time to stir in the macaroni. Taste again and adjust flavors as necessary. If need be add more pasta water. Make this dish as you at this time, I didn’t use cheese; you may add cheese if you desire. Serve it up while still warm and enjoy. I love serving this with fresh grape tomatoes, some purple onions, and green onions. Yum!
Remember to pat the chicken breast down before marinating.. This removes excess moisture.
Remember to always add salt according to your taste or according to your health needs.
I didn’t use the entire box of elbow macaroni; I removed about (a tipping) one cup.
Chop/slice some of the parsley, and leave the rest like that.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Nigerian Cuisine Inspired
Keywords: Macaroni, pasta, pasta recipe,