Romesco sauce is a rich Spanish sauce that can literally wake up any dish. It is sharp, bold, zesty, and full of flavors from roasted red peppers, charred or sundried tomatoes, nuts, herbs, and seasonings! Traditional romesco sauce recipe typically has a mixture of roasted tomatoes, fresh garlic, and toasted almonds, pine nuts, or hazelnuts. Also, olive or sunflower oil and sundried peppers. Equally, flour or ground stale bread thickened the earlier Spanish romesco sauces.
The addition of smoky paprika, vinegar, and cayenne peppers further sharpen this strong-tasting sauce and make it a perfect sauce or dip for fish, meat, vegetables, and crackers. Easy Romesco Sauce adds a burst of flavor to any dish.
- ¾ cup of raw almonds (skinless and soaked overnight to soften); or store-bought blanched almonds.
- 1 big red bell pepper (roasted); or store-bought
- A handful of sundried tomatoes (about 7 or ¼ cup. Soaked overnight in olive oil)
- ¼ cup EVOO (Extra virgin olive oil)
- 5 garlic cloves (wrapped in foil and roasted)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 2 teaspoons smoky paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper (or cayenne pepper or crushed red peppers (always add pepper according to your desire
- ½ to 1 teaspoon of salt (always add salt according to your taste or health need)
- ¼ tsp. Nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ tsp. Maggi (optional)
- Wash and cut the bell peppers, spread them on a baking sheet, and sprinkle a little salt and olive oil. Peel 5 garlic cloves, place in a foil, sprinkle a little salt and olive oil and wrap. Ensure the garlic cloves are securely covered in the foil. Place on the same baking sheet as the red bell peppers. Roast at 350 degrees oven for 30 – 40 minutes or until the peppers look a little charred. Feel free to flip the peppers in between roasting for even cooking.
- Add all the ingredients for the romesco sauce to the food processor, starting with the skinless almonds, roasted bell peppers, garlic, paprika, salt, nutmeg, Maggi, lemon juice, and EVOO. Alternatively, you can add all the ingredients except the olive oil and then drizzle the olive oil as you process.
- Process until it becomes paste-like or to the texture you desire. Taste and adjust flavors to your desire; garnish with some EVOO drizzle, crushed red peppers, and almonds.
Start by adding ¼ teaspoon of salt, and increase your taste. Remember, when it comes to salt, you can always add more but, you cannot take it out.
Feel free to make this sauce as thick or light as you want. The same goes with consistency; you decide on making it smooth or rough.
You can easily make this sauce in 5 minutes with store-bought roasted red peppers, jarred tomatoes, and store-bought blanched almonds.
Make this recipe spicier by adding more cayenne peppers.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Spanish
Keywords: Sauce, Romesco, Romesco sauce, Spanish romesco, romesco recipe, romesco dressing, homemade romesco sauce, romesco dip, #romesco #romescosauce