This Low Carb, Gluten-free, Paleo-friendly, grain-free, and Vegetarian Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wrap is an excellent alternative to a regular taco. You can substitute shrimp with tofu, or chicken; enjoy this healthy lettuce wrap recipe your way!
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1 cup (or 8 oz) of Shrimp (if frozen please allow to thaw before using.)
For shrimp marinade:
- ½ of (whole) lime (juiced)
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 2-teaspoon olive oil
- A dash of salt
- ½ teaspoon of seasoning powder or 1 Maggi cube
- ½ teaspoon of ground chili pepper
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of dry rosemary
For the apple salsa:
- 1 cup of thinly chopped apple (about half of big apple)
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- ¼ chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons of chopped jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1-teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- A dash of salt and pepper (optional)
For the Light Olive oil Dressing: (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice,
- 1-tablespoon olive oil,
- A dash of black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon of honey (or maple syrup.)
- Mix the shrimp marinade.
- Add the shrimp to it and allow marinating for at least 20 – 30 minutes inside the fridge. You can also sauté it right away if you are in a hurry.
- Wash and chop all the vegetables for the salsa. Slice the red onions.
- Make the salsa by adding all of them to a bowl (except the red onions). Then add lime juice, a dash of ground pepper and salt, oil, and honey. Toss together to combine and set aside.
- Place a pan on the stove, add oil, allow to heat up. Gently drop the shrimp into the oil, lay individually; do not over-crowd the pan.
- Cook 3 – 5 minutes on each side or until fully cooked; finish up with fresh green onions. Then remove from stove and set aside. How to serve this delicacy:
- Place the already washed lettuce leaves on a clean plate, start by adding some apple salsa on the leaves, followed by shrimp, and garnish with sliced red onions. Feel free to add a dollop of sour cream or sprinkle a little olive oil dressing. Enjoy.
Though shrimp has cholesterol, which has given it some “bad” name, this isn’t necessarily bad cholesterol; shrimp remains a great protein for the body. However, for the few individuals that have cholesterol issues, be mindful not to overindulge.
Marinating time is excluded from the total prep time for this dish. And if you are in a hurry, go ahead and cook immediately.
You use cabbage instead of lettuce for this recipe.
Two lettuce wraps makes one Taco wrap; and two wraps serves one person.
The olive oil dressing is optional.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Healthy Taco Recipe, Lime shrimp lettuce wraps, Spicy shrimp, taco, lettuce wraps, Low-carb shrimp lettuce wraps, Shrimp lettuce wrap with apple salsa