This warm, comforting, and satisfying bowl of coconut milk oatmeal have been a total hit in my household. It’s vegan, healthy, sweet, and everything you desire in one bowl! I hope you give it a try; this oat recipe will make your day! Please don’t forget to let me know when you do try it.
- 1 cup of old-fashioned oats
- 3 cups of (fresh homemade) coconut milk.
- 2 cups of frozen pitted cherries
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ shredded coconut
- ¼ cup of cashew nuts
- Preheat oven to 250. Add the shredded coconut & cashew nut to the same baking tray toast to your desired perfection. Usually between 10 — 15 minutes. Please keep your eyes on it and stir in between. Set aside.
- Add the cherry to a small pot turn stove to low — medium, cook until it softens, and the juice is runny. This may take about 15 minutes (or so). Keep an eye on it; can easily run over and make a mess.
- Add oats to a clean pot, add coconut milk, then vanilla, cover, cook until soft and cooked through, just like you would with oats. Be sure to keep stirring as it is simmering to prevent from burning & oats sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- To serve add oats porridge to a bowl, then top with stewed cherry, and toasted nuts. This will make your day.
This recipe serves two people.
I typically do not add any other sweetener, however, feel free to add some original maple syrup or honey (or any other one) if you think you need it. You go ahead and make it your way!
If you aren’t able to make your own coconut milk, I suggest you use the coconut milk that you can find alongside other non-dairy milk in the dairy section of your grocery store. I can’t guarantee the same result.
The toppings calorie are not included in the total calorie for this recipe because they are optional.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Nigerian Inspired
Keywords: Coconut recipe, healthy Oatmeal recipe, Coconut oatmeal, Vegan oatmeal recipe, Vegan breakfast, homemade coconut milk