Flavor-packed, colorful, tasty, and satisfying chicken leg quarters and potatoes with shawarma spices are delish! This easy one-pot air fryer chicken and potato meal make an excellent lunch or dinner for you and your family! Traditional shawarma spices can instantly catapult any chicken recipe to the next level. This chicken and potatoes with shawarma marinade are so easy to make in the air fryer, and I hope you can give it a try!
- 2 chicken Leg Quarters
- 3 medium-size potatoes
Shawarma Spices Ingredients:
- 1 lemon (juice half of it) and use the other half for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ salt (add salt according to preference)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Maggi (or Knorr chicken seasoning); optional, however, if you won’t Maggi then be sure to increase the salt.
- 1 TBS. chopped parsley (for garnishing)
Ingredients for seasoning the potatoes
- Step one: gather the ingredients. Get all the ingredients together – chicken leg quarters, potatoes, and shawarma spices. Then clean the chicken and peel the potatoes.
- Step two: season the chicken. Place the clean chicken leg quarters in a big bowl, sprinkle oil, and rub in with your hands. Then sprinkle the shawarma spice mix and lemon juice; combine well with your hands. Ensure the shawarma marinade gets into every part of the chicken. Set aside to marinate or cook asap.
- Step three: season the potatoes. Use the ingredients for seasoning the potatoes to season the peeled and cut potatoes. Alternatively, you can equally season the potatoes with only salt and pepper.
- Step four: air fry chicken leg quarters and potatoes. Set the air fryer for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F (176 C) and preheat. Place the marinated shawarma chicken leg quarters skin down in the air fryer basket. Add/place the potatoes in the basket as well and cook.
- Step five: flip the chicken after 15 minutes. Flip the potatoes as well. Generally, the potatoes cook quicker than the chicken, so keep an eye on them. After flipping the chicken, spray a little oil before continuing.
- Step six: check for doneness. If the potatoes are fully cooked to your satisfaction, remove them.
- Step seven: finish cooking and serve. My chicken was ready at exactly 27 minutes. Typically, the exact time it takes to cook chicken leg quarters depends on the size of the quarters. If you have small-sized chicken leg quarters, you may check for doneness after 25 minutes of cooking. Insert a meat thermometer to the thickest part of the chicken for accuracy. Garnish with chopped parsley, and serve chicken alongside the potatoes. Enjoy!
Measure the spices; do not eyeball
Season every part of the chicken with the shawarma marinade. Use hands to massage the meat very well.
Usually, the shawarma marinade requires a lot of oil. However, I intentionally used less oil in the recipe. Feel free to add more oil if you wish.
It is absolutely okay not to peel the potatoes. Relatively, you can decide to season the potatoes with only salt and pepper.
Remember that the potatoes cook quicker than the chicken. Remove them instead of burning them. BTW, you may be tempted to eat them all before serving!
Use the meat thermometer to check for the doneness of the chicken leg quarter. The chicken leg quarters may not exactly cook simultaneously, especially if they have different sizes.
Always thoroughly cook chicken; use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 27 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Air fryer
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: #Chickenshawarma #Chickenlegquarters #airfryerchicken #shawarma #shawarmamarinade #chickenrecipes