This roasted lamb leg has the perfect crust on the outside and is extraordinarily juicy, tender, and flavorful inside—literally the epitome of a flawless roast. The best part is that this lamb roast is super easy to make with only a few ingredients. Second, it doesn’t require a special marinade. Furthermore, this roast leg of lamb recipe would be fantastic for a Sunday roast, Easter lunch, Christmas dinner, or better still, put this lamb recipe on your Thanksgiving dinner menu.
- 4 lbs. Bone-in Leg of lamb
For the Rub
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of Maggi or Knorr powder
- 3 garlic cloves (grated)
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
For Chimichurri (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of thinly chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon of EVOO
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- A dash of honey
- A dash of Maggi or Bouillon powder
- Add all the ingredients for the rub in a clean bowl and use a spoon/fork to mix. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Wash/clean the leg lamb and place it on a chopping board or clean surface.
- Cut slits into the leg of lamb before marinating to allow the flavor to penetrate deeper into the meat.
- While wearing gloves, use your hands, and make sure to rub the marinade into every corner of the bone-in lamb leg, especially into the openings. Finally, insert a few sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme into the slit openings. You can allow this meat to soak up the marinate before you roast, or you can roast it asap!
- Place this seasoned lamb leg in the roast pan. Roast leg of lamb at 425 for 30 minutes uncovered. Then roast covered at 325 for 90 minutes or until done to your desire. Please note that this was a 4 pounds of lamb leg. See my FAQs for tips on how long to roast leg of lamb.
- Make the chimichurri while the meat roasts. Start by adding all the ingredients into a clean pan, including some freshly chopped parsley. Taste for flavors and set aside.
- Allow resting for 10 – 15 minutes or more before cutting or serving.
- Drizzle the chimichurri on meat before cutting/serving. This step is optional; however, it gives the lamb roast some fresh, crisp, tangy flavors you wouldn’t want to miss. Alternatively, you can use gravy instead.
If you wish for the chimichurri to taste a little sweet, add a dash of honey.
From time to time, I get questions about washing meat before cooking. In reality, I suggest you do you. However, I am on “team wash.” I do wash my meat before I make them!
You can allow this meat to soak up the marinate before you roast, or you can roast asap!
Roast uncovered for the first 30 minutes; this allows this meat to develop the perfect crust.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Main
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: Lamb roast, Leg of Lamb, How to roast lamb leg, Holiday Recipe, Lamb Recipe, Roast leg of Lamb